[dba-Tech] TIOBE Programming Community Index for May 2013

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Wed May 22 05:01:26 CDT 2013

> Please post some samples for general purpose programming languages and OSes.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/ParallelProcessing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Dispatch

http://embarcaderos.net/2011/01/23/parallel-processing-and-multi-core-utilization-with-java/

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/csharpfaq/archive/2010/06/01/parallel-programming-in-net-framework-4-getting-started.aspx

etc...

> True for yesterday, partially true for today, could become false tomorrow as C/C++ standards evolve in Java/C#/functional programming languages direction, and they (C/C++) are getting more and more (open source) libraries to support all kinds of software development subject areas.

I don't know how you are arriving at this conclusion. There are so many fields of software development where dropping down to C/C++ is completely out of the question regardless of the evolution in standards and libraries - ie. web application development, sys administration and video games to name a few -  simply because it is more expensive to write the same feature / code in C/C++ and the gains in terms of performance has little or no impact overall (one must respect the old axiom that premature optimization is the root of all evil).

It's just not going to happen nor do I hope it happens. The thought of all these crappy software developers getting their hands on this sort of power scares of the lights out of me. It would be the death of everything we hold dear. I think you are in a very lonely club regarding this.

- Hans