[dba-Tech] TIOBE Programming Community Index for May 2013

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed May 22 15:24:17 CDT 2013

 Hi Hans --

Thank you for the links but AFAIU that do not give true/effective ways to utilize multi-core systems - please read this article:

http://erratasec.blogspot.ru/2013/02/multi-core-scaling-its-not-multi.html#.UZsfhbVplfA   (that was posted here already).

It looks like something is done in the direction outlined by the above article by the tools/techologies you referred  by the link  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Dispatch
But that seems to be it and just "touching the surface" of true multi-core scaling. Please correct me if you'll find I'm wrong.

<<< There are so many fields of software development where dropping down to C/C++ is completely out of the question regardless of the evolution in standards and libraries - ie. web application development,>>>
See:  http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/17/google-introduces-portable-native-client-makes-it-easier-for-developers-to-add-c-and-c-code-to-their-web-apps/  (that was posted here already)

Thank you.

-- Shamil

P.S. <<<  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/csharpfaq/archive/2010/06/01/parallel-programming-in-net-framework-4-getting-started.aspx  >>>
FYI: I'm using this technology in my customers' projects - it's far from what I meant by multi-core scaling...

Среда, 22 мая 2013, 3:01 -07:00 от Hans-Christian Andersen <hans.andersen at phulse.com>:

>> Please post some samples for general purpose programming languages and OSes.
>
>http://wiki.python.org/moin/ParallelProcessing
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Dispatch
>
>http://embarcaderos.net/2011/01/23/parallel-processing-and-multi-core-utilization-with-java/
>
>http://blogs.msdn.com/b/csharpfaq/archive/2010/06/01/parallel-programming-in-net-framework-4-getting-started.aspx
>
>etc...
>
>> True for yesterday, partially true for today, could become false tomorrow as C/C++ standards evolve in Java/C#/functional programming languages direction, and they (C/C++) are getting more and more (open source) libraries to support all kinds of software development subject areas.
>
>I don't know how you are arriving at this conclusion. There are so many fields of software development where dropping down to C/C++ is completely out of the question regardless of the evolution in standards and libraries - ie. web application development, sys administration and video games to name a few -  simply because it is more expensive to write the same feature / code in C/C++ and the gains in terms of performance has little or no impact overall (one must respect the old axiom that premature optimization is the root of all evil).
>
>It's just not going to happen nor do I hope it happens. The thought of all these crappy software developers getting their hands on this sort of power scares of the lights out of me. It would be the death of everything we hold dear. I think you are in a very lonely club regarding this.
>
>- Hans
<<< skipped >>>