[dba-Tech] TIOBE Programming Community Index for May 2013

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Fri May 24 02:41:30 CDT 2013

 Hi Jim --

Yes, it may happen one will not need to care about hardware and OS their apps are running on - just about programming language, development tools and selected programming language(s) target cloud run-time environment:

http://highscalability.com/blog/2010/10/21/machine-vm-cloud-api-rewriting-the-cloud-from-scratch.html

<<< Comparing a multi-thread application to event driven application >>>
I'm not sure that nginx and event-driven web requests processing is currently the most effective solution for anything else than web requests servicing - I mean multi-core scaling the article I've referred here discusses is a different and (much) more complicated to solve issue than Apache and ISS (muti-threaded web requests processing) vs. Nginx (event-driven web request processing).

-- Shamil

Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:44 AM -07:00 from "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:
>
>I am looking forward to the day where the hardware, OS and programming tools
>have the ability to really manage multi-core CPUs. Maybe a language like F#
>or Erlan which are designed to scale in a horizontally environment might be
>the answer? Maybe our top-down programming languages are designed wrong?
>
>When it comes the languages that are built around the internet, they are
>never going to be able take advantage of the hardware, or should they. That
>responsibility will have to fall to the OS (and BE server).
>
>C# itself will eventually be designed to, right out of the box, to take
>advantage of a multi-core environment but I feel it should never have to.
>The real heavy-lifting should start at the OS level.
>
>But I wonder if the whole multi-threaded approach to OS and program design
>is dead? The event driven model now appears to be the solution. Just compare
>response times and resource usage of process-based servers like IIS and
>Apache to new asynchronous servers like Nginx and Node.
>
>Comparing a multi-thread application to event driven application:
>
>http://www.organic-development.com/blog/apache-vs-nginx-performance-comparis
>on.html
>

>Jim
<<< skipped >>>