[dba-Tech] Windows 8: Not!

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun May 26 14:05:07 CDT 2013

 Hi Jim --

I can understand folks who do not want to upgrade to Win8 because of inertia, luck of money, so many bad reviews posted everywhere on Win8 but  I can't get what "feeling of frustration" forces folks getting Win8 preinstalled to make their systems downgraded to Win7, do you?

I mean if they dislike/do not need to work in Win8 UI mode they can use  [WindowsKey] + D to get into Windows classic desktop mode,  put some frequently used programs short-cuts on desktop or just use [WindowsKey]+R to start programs by typing their executable file name /full path etc. - it's all very similar to Win7 ...

-- Shamil

Sunday, May 26, 2013 9:40 AM -07:00 from "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:
>
>I will partially agree with you.
>
>Aside: I do not think Arthur has any particular "axe to grind" when it comes
>to Win8 but I sense a very strong feeling of frustration, especially coming
>from his client's acceptance of Microsoft's latest offering and he is just
>reflecting their opinions.
>
>It appears that Microsoft has done fine job on their Windows 8 phones and
>everyone who has one likes it. This does not mean that I will run out and
>buy anything other than an Android phone. (I do not dislike iPods either but
>prices and features are everything.)
>
>Unfortunately, the Microsoft way of force feeding the public, through
>pre-loaded platforms, its Windows 8 desktop product is hardly an indication
>the OS's acceptance or rejection.
>
>If a customer, when buying a PC, tablet or Phone, could at the moment of
>purchase, select their OS, a much more accurate view of audience preference
>could be established. Given a level playing field, I would suspect, sales of
>MS's desktop version would go down, tablet sales would go up and phone sales
>would stay the same.
>
>Jim
<<< skipped >>>