[dba-Tech] Windows 8: Not!

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon May 27 01:30:19 CDT 2013

 Hi Jim --

Thank you.
As I have already noted to Hans it happens that daughters do not get their fathers' profession inherited/passed on genes level ;)

> We are talking old guys here who probably took
> a couple of days to figure out how to use a mouse
Tell them that Win8 have two channels ;)

Channel #1: Win8 - is the main official channel which starts broadcasting on Win8 start-up but one can easily switch to their good old...
Channel #2: WinXP/Win7 channel by using [WindowsKey] + D

and in their free time use CTRL + ESC to get back to Win8 channel to play with, to adapt to it, to switch to/activate its "sub-channels" presented on Win8 start screen/desktop/switchboard as "live-tiles". Tell them there could be many active sub-channels activated and  working in background, teach them to use [WindowsKey] + [Tab] to get the list of active sub-channels and to switch between them...

Give them the links to:

30 New Hotkeys For Windows 8
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/30-new-hotkeys-for-windows-8/

or even

50 Windows 8 Keyboard Shortcuts You Should Know
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts/

and

100 Keyboard Shortcuts (Windows)
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/100-keyboard-shortcuts-windows/

Help them to select the most useful in their everyday work short-cuts - they will be happy to abandon mouse...

If they would still prefer to use mouse with Win8 interface give them this link:

Windows 8 Touch & Mouse Gestures
http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/windows-8-touch-mouse-gestures

-- Shamil

Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:33 PM -07:00 from "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:
>
>The daughter of one of the best programmer developers, I know, has no
>problem? Trust me it is in the genes and it really comes as no surprise.
>
>I would bet she could probably install a full Linux network, from the
>command prompt, in an afternoon, if she ever wanted to.
>
>We are talking old guys here who probably took a couple of days to figure
>out how to use a mouse and they use two or maybe three fingers to type with.
>Why do you think most lawyers and business managers have a secretary?
>
>Jim

<<< skipped >>>