[dba-Tech] Outlook.com

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 8 15:15:24 CST 2013

Hi Gustav:

I have tried and tried and just can not get any version of IE to run on my Linux distro. ;-)

You will get no argument from me that GMail is a mess, but its spaces is almost unlimited and it is great as backup email dump.

My current personal preference is Zimbra (http://www.zimbra.com). I have been using it for a while as my ISP is using it as their default emails and it elegant and simple but full featured. The only thing that stops me, from rolling my own, is the need for a 64bit server...and then I would install ownCloud (http://owncloud.org) as well and throw in a Nginx server (http://wiki.nginx.org/Main) for good measure.

Aside: I think Microsoft would do themselves a favour by releasing all their applications on all platforms...it would be very profitable. The desktop should not be a profit centre any more....it should be able to run as just another distro that could run on any platform as well. Today's money is in the applications and support services.