[dba-Tech] Docker

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 27 15:37:31 CST 2013

The latest version of Docker has just arrived.

This application is not to be confused virtual drives. This can be used for a number requirements. It is not only a network implementation but also Internet and Clouds. Docker containers can be deployed to virtually any environment, it takes up far less room than a virtual drive, can replicated easily and each instance is sandboxed from any other container.

OTOH, links (or ports) can be created within a container so, for example a database, of virtually any kind can be shared with a number of other containers all of which can be easily ported or relocated.

http://www.docker.com

http://www.docker.com/about_docker/docker

...and a list of some case studies:
http://www.docker.com/about_docker/usecases

I was listening to a discussion with one of the team designers and if anyone is interested in Docker's direction and a full overview of Docker's features, I can post the link as soon as it becomes available on Youtube (in a few days).