[dba-Tech] Way OT but I love you people so I'm posing the question.

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 30 12:38:05 CST 2013

London is a lovely place to visit but as the city is about one hundred miles square so getting anywhere is at least an hour by tube and bus. The culture is incredible with treasures from every corner of the globe as London was the centre of largest empire in history, for hundreds of years. Maybe Toronto has people from everywhere and one of the most diverse culture mixes but London is on a totally different scale. The universities of Cambridge and Oxford are just a few hours away by high-speed train and the many science museums are quite incredible. (Went to hear a Steven Hawkins lecture but discovered he was lecturing at the university, in Kitchener-Waterloo at the time.)

On the downside the cost can be expensive. It appears that the price is the same but you are paying in pounds not in dollars.

I have never been to Havana but, from colleges in Toronto, I have heard it is a wonderful inexpensive place to visit in the winter and it is very beautiful (He was a single fellow so he was probably including the local women). The people are very friendly and if you like Jazz and Salsa dancing, the night life is great. If you need special surgery, the prices are also very good. A friend from Washington, flew to Toronto and then down to Havana and had cancer surgery, in her hip. I have not heard from her since she got back but understand the operation was successful and it only cost about 17K...and that included two weeks in hospital, attending surgeons, in a private room, private nurse, all drugs, food and accommodations. A fellow IT guy, in Toronto use to brag that he could fly there, spend a week, all inclusive, except for drinks and the price was $300...That was ten years ago and though I am sure the prices have changed they are probably still very reasonable.