[dba-Tech] ultimate win 8 nightmare

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Fri Oct 11 04:47:24 CDT 2013

 Hi Arthur --

LOL.

You're right but...

<<<I started thinking that Windows was the next Big Hit. >>>
...believe me or not I personally have *never* been thinking that "Windows was the next big thing". IMO "the best ever" computer architecture were PDP and VAX, and the best ever OS was RSX-11M or VMS. I worked a lot with the former but when the local engineers managed to clone VAX it was too late - exUSSR get fallen and PCs came to crush VAX-es. So I know about the latter  (VAX/VMS) mainly from computer books...

As you know "t he history of UNIX starts back in 1969, when Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and others started working on the "little-used PDP-7 in a corner" at Bell Labs and what was to become UNIX" ( http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix/history_timeline.html ).  And it's no surprise - only such a technological beauty as PDP architecture and related technologies could become a driving-force foundation for a long living and progressing OS as Unix/Linux.

Anyway, I'm continuing my MS Windows application software development "odyssey" as it helps me to make my and my family living, and I currently do not have time for Unix/Linux. At least I've overcome "VBA/VB addiction" - C# as it's now is a pleasure to code with...

I'd go "down to the roots" to C/C++ coding (and even some assembler for fun) if time allowed but I doubt I will ever have that opportunity in this life...

Thank you.

-- Shamil

--
Салахетдинов Шамиль