[dba-Tech] Compromised

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 11 11:57:21 CDT 2013

Hi All:

Had an interesting discussion last night and one fellow that was in attendance was a tech from a company call Soroc (http://www.soroc.com). The companies client's are all the domestic banks.

The latest revelation is that the NSA and soon every other hacker now has software that can compromise all Windows computers and there is no third party software that even detects it. This was told to him and his company at a security meeting in Toronto, last week. How accurate this is, I have no idea but it has the financial sector stirred up.

The possible solutions discussed are completely blocked all PCs in the bank from external access, not allowing any computers in the bank that have not been vetted out of Toronto, so no BYOD and finally everyone switch to Linux.

Nothing is finalized yet but the options are being weighed. (Note: I am sure this information was to be a little off the record but all those techs that in the business should be made aware of it.)

Any thoughts?