[dba-Tech] Windows 8.1

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 22:01:05 CDT 2013

Hans-Christian,

I think you make some excellent points. We could very soon be looking at a
market in which the only place Windows has any dominance is in offices --
and even there, given the BYOD phenomenon, that may not last much longer.
I'd say that Windows Phone has very little chance against Android, and even
though I like Windows 8 (and just upgraded to 8.1), I still spend a lot of
time in Linux, partly because I have to, given Peter's and my book on
MySQL, but also just because I want to know it better. Finally, I agree
wholeheartedly with your point about Steam and young gamers. The only
reason they have to run Windows is about to go away. And as a result,
gaming computers will get cheaper since their vendors won't have to bundle
Windows.

Arthur