[dba-Tech] Windows Event Log help

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 22 12:44:25 CDT 2013

Hi John:

You seem to have a problem with your updates.

I (try to) never have automatic updates...they are just too dangerous. The last thing needed is a client's site crashing during a work day. That said, do you have a the full event log or just the dump file?

Windows does have events that will over-ride any settings. This happens when an update has been installed and then the immediate reboot cycle has been postponed.

The Home edition of Window7 is just such a beast. At one point it will decide, regardless of the settings that some process must be handled...it first prompts how long before boot cycle starts, which can be up to four hours, but if no one takes action within a five minute window, it start a shutdown and reboot cycle of about two minutes. Your description does sound like that.