[dba-Tech] A big opportunity

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 2 18:08:02 CDT 2014

Hi All:

Seeing the XP support is going to disappear in a little over six days:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx

...for even a couple of young fellows, it would a great opportunity to migrate hundreds of XP PCs over to a vanilla version of Linux like Ubuntu. The web and newspaper advertisements, door to door for all the businesses without full-time techs on-board.

The ad would read something like: "For a starting price of $200, move one or all your XP computers to Ubuntu, basic upgrade includes a full system backup on a virtual drive, replacement of all (most) software with products as good if not better, re-connection to all printers, regardless of product and other all stations and servers regardless of OS. All the new systems will have the highest level of security."

The more computers the easier the process will go...twenty XP computers could be upgraded in less than four hours...if you have the skills and can setup Puppet, hundreds could be migrated, at the same time.

If I was younger, not retired and/or just starting my contracting business I would jumped at the chance. ;-)