[dba-Tech] A new Microsoft

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Apr 17 12:44:33 CDT 2014

Hi Jim

That depends what you mean by platform. Regarding the cloud, a major milestone was met some days ago when Azure as the first and only cloud service was approved by the European Union for handling confident data to the highest standards:

http://www.microsoft.com/eu/on-the-issues/article/Privacy_authorities_across_Europe_approve_Microsoft_cloud_commitments.aspx

This I expected would have taken many more years to accomplish. But not so. It seriously sets the competition behind for a while and ceases any reasonable doubt that cloud storage and computing somehow should be unsafe.

How Microsoft has managed to get this fixed and what resources must have been spent to achieve this, one can only guess. But it has changed the options for cloud computing for authorities and enterprises completely. Thus, Azure is no longer just another cloud platform but "the cloud platform".

In a tiny corner of Azure, I enjoy OneDrive and Office 365. Minutes after I have taken a Photo on my Lumia, it is ready in OneDrive on my desktops and Surface; and vice versa. Same for documents. Without clicking anything. Gone are copying or syncing, it works really well.

/gustav