[dba-Tech] Low-Level Format

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Mon Apr 21 16:57:43 CDT 2014

Back in the day when I used to be a Windows user, there was an awesome boot loader that handled dual booting fantabulously. I forget it’s name though. For some reason I keep thinking partition magic, but I’m not sure. maybe that was just a partitioning tool and, in any case, it’s been discontinued.

Speaking of dual booting Windows & Linux, I never used to have a problem with any of the distros & grub. But, saying that, I haven’t tried it on Vista or any of the more recent versions of Windows. Quite likely, Microsoft has done something to bugger it up. I do recall that Windows had a nasty habit of removing grub if it ever booted up and ran through some filesystem checks.

I guess the best solution is the one you have, which is having a boot loader on a USB drive that boots up a local install of linux. Shouldn’t have to be that way though!

- Hans