[dba-Tech] Replacement for Ubuntu One

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 25 13:05:43 CDT 2014

Hi Linux users:

For any of you who is using a Ubuntu distro, you have probably are aware that the Ubuntu One Cloud option is being phased out and will close as of July.

You can of course use DropBox but I do have issues with the product as they only have one encryption value for every user, they monitor your directories for DRM conflicts (I didn't remember tagging my wife's picture) and now Condoleezza Rice is on their board of directors... I have a hard time separating Ms Rice from thoughts of the NSA, but that may be just me.

I have not researched to see if Microsoft's Cloud option is available to Linux users but one of you can if you would like...but don't be surprised if the answer is NO.

But then there is Google Drive with 15 free GB...enough to backup your desktop. Below is a fairly straight forward method of installing and mounting GD as just another directory off you home directory using the terminal method:

# open up access to the online library, update all your libraries and then install the package
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alessandro-strada/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install google-drive-ocamlfuse

# Now authorize Google Drive. This may take Google a few moments if you are a new user and even if you are already a user. Watch the terminal as the replies will be appear there and not on your browser.
google-drive-ocamlfuse

# Now make a directory from which to mount GD. Note: The "~" symbol is just a quick method for saying create off your home directory
mkdir ~/gdrive

# And finally mount Google Drive to the new directory you have created
google-drive-ocamlfuse ~/gdrive

Done. If you use you new Cloud drive in combination with BitTorrent Sync it can become a completely secure method for transferring personal or client company data.