[dba-Tech] Gary Kildall Finally Gets His Due

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 00:29:21 CDT 2014

Stuart,
I remember that as deploed in this country by an outfit called Molecular:
Group CP/M. Those were the days!! 64K RAM on multiple machines and it was
enough for that day. Nowadays 8GB of RAM is barely enouh. Software has
grown fat and needs to do some sit-ups. To be fair, so do I. I can barely
fit into my 30" pants anymore.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 11:43 PM, Stuart McLachlan
<stuart at lexacorp.com.pg>wrote:

> Even better was C/CPM.
>
> Ran it on several "networked"*  ICL Quattro's back on the mid '80s
>
> http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=852
>
> *using serial communications over a cable with line drivers between two
> buildings several
> hundred meters apart..
>
> That's where I cut my teeth on relational database development and
> Dataflex (aong with word
> processing with Wordstar)
>
> --
> Stuart
>

> On 26 Apr 2014 at 12:48, Arthur Fuller wrote:
>
> > *"GeekWire reports that Gary Kildall
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kildall>, the creator of the
> > landmark personal computer operating system CP/M, will be recognized
> > posthumously by the IEEE for that contribution
> > <http://www.geekwire.com/2014/real-inventor-uws-gary-kildall-father-pc
> > -os-recognized-landmark-contributions/>, in addition to his invention
> > of BIOS, with a rare IEEE Milestone plaque
> > <http://news.cs.washington.edu/2014/01/25/ieee-to-honor-uw-cse-alumnus
> > -gary-kildall-with-milestone/>.*
> >
> > I started with CP/M, and thought it superior to DOS in several ways.
> > http://www.databaseadvisors.com

Arthur