[dba-Tech] Bundled Adware in IE?

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Wed Dec 10 10:47:05 CST 2014

Thanks, John.  She is using Avast as her antivirus program (I've
preached Vipre, now, for years, and everybody else in the family is
using it, but she insists on Avast).  We were finally able to download
and install Avast, run some scans and get rid of most of the crapware.
Then, I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes and got rid of some more.
Overnight, I ran the Avast deep scan and got rid of some more. Then, I
ran the Avast boot scan and found three more - two were in the browser
folders, IE and FF.  So, I think we finally got it all cleaned up.

Now, philosophical question - why?  The adware is so annoying, so
distressing, so intrusive - why would anybody be willing to bundle it in
a legitimate product?  That just seems the perfect way to turn people
against the legitimate product.  To me, this is crazy.  Why do they do
this?  It actually makes the computer un-usable.

TNF

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields-at-torchlake-dot-com
231-322-2787