[dba-Tech] Audio equivalent to AMC

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 09:45:04 CST 2014

Yeah, Susan! With a smart phone camera, you could scan the barcode and
that's that. Sadly, however, a couple of thousand of my LPs predate the
concept of barcodes, so you'd have to type the titles in LOL. Not a lot I
can do about that aspect.

As regards my record collection, almost all of them have been played only
once: way back when, I had a TEAC reel-to-reel tape machine, and I would
play each new record once, taping it, and from then on play the tape rather
than the LP. I even went so far as to buy inner sleeves for them all. Over
the years, I have sold some to various vendors of used LPs, virtually all
of whom are astounded at the reverent care I have taken with them.
Invariably, on their initial visit, they carefully inspect the surface of
the records they're interested in acquiring, and marvel at their condition.
On second and subsequent visits, they don't even bother. They simply assume
the records will be in perfect condition.

I guess I'm one of the few that insists that the vendors come here, rather
than me taking the records there. But there are simply way too many to even
consider me lugging them to their shops.

There are now turntables that can plug into a USB port so you can play the
record and capture its contents as an MP3 file. I think I need one of
those. Does anyone have such a beast? Any recommendations as to brand and
model?

A.