[dba-Tech] .NET obfuscators

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 22 13:42:19 CST 2014

Hi Guys:

There is nothing that much more that I could add to discussion or conclusions but to note that obfuscating code will only block beginners and only for so long. Obfuscation is only useful in making it expensive, time-wise to someone wanting to view the code. Viewing the code can be hidden by running the process on the server (assuming a web app) but anything running on the desktop might as well be considered open source. There are a number of packages that say they can obfuscate code and a few even suggest the code can be encrypted...how good they are is a question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_obfuscators_for_.NET

In the olden days of terminals, code could be completely hidden, but today's tool make that impossible...compiling was considered a near perfect form of protection as to hack the code would take weeks but now there are tools out there that can de-compile to Pcode and rest is simple for a programmer.

So in summary, IMHO, the only form of protection is to make a product cheaper to buy than to have someone de-obfuscate.