[dba-Tech] .NET/Windows applications memory (leakage) and performance profilers

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed Dec 24 12:22:34 CST 2014

 Hi Gustav --

Since yesterday I have been trying to use in trial mode one or another subject tool from my list - here are my results:

1. GlowCode 9.2 - $499

They didn't send me trial version's setup key. I have sent a message to their support e-mail address. No any replies yet.

2. .NET Memory Profiler - $349

Good one but user interface is a bit heavy to use, especially comparing with ANTS Memory Profiler.

3. ANTS Memory Profiler - $619

Ingeniously simple tool (as they say) - very user friendly, powerful enough, intuitive - no need to read any docs  - the best one for me currently.

4. dotTRace ($249 or $599 within ReSharper Ultimate)

Failed to setup (I have had previous version in trial mode, maybe it was an issue with my setup failure).

5. .Net Memory Validator - $199.00

It didn't work - my test application got stuck when this tool tried to profile its memory.

6. CLR Profiler (v1.1) - free

No 'free cheese' in this world - skipped testing

7. Free within Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate Debugging Memory Leaks Using

No 'free cheese' in this world - skipped testing.

Using ANTS Memory Profiler I have solved two subtle memory leakage issues:

- first one was an urgent customer request to fix - it was completed within several hours, without ANTS Memory Profiler it could have taken 'ages' to find the cause of this memory leakage issue.

- second one was another application memory leakage fixing - it wasn't that urgent but anyway it was done within several hours.

Thank you.

-- Shamil