[dba-Tech] Storage Space

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sat Feb 1 16:00:50 CST 2014

 Hi Arthur --

Do you use Blu-ray Writer with BDXL support - 100+GB per disk?
I'm looking to purchase one in the near future - which one should I select?
Here is the list form Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=BDXL%20External

This one seems to be the best - based on customers' reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Pawtec-External-Aluminum-Blu-Ray-Writer/dp/B00D53J5P0

But BD-R 100GB disks are still quite expensive, especially here.
So does it make sense to purchase a Blu-Ray Writer with BDXL support - wouldn't a Blu-Ray device with 25GB  (50GB) disks support enough for now?

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Saturday, February  1, 2014 1:37 PM -05:00 from Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>:
>Precisely my point, Jim. I'm a compulsive archiver and at long last, my
>storage capacity has outrun my storage-ambitions. Hell, even excluding the
>external USB 3.0 drives, I still have a TB on my laptop -- with more than
>half of it free space! I have a 24" monitor attached and now my only desire
>is to figure out how to attach another external monitor. Does anyone know,
>is there a way to attach a second external monitor? With 8GB of RAM, I have
>no problem running Ubuntu as well as Windows 8.1. An if that isn't enough,
>the laptop runs utterly silently. Kewl.
>
>The only other piece of hardware that I'm thinking of, which I saw recently
>for about $130, is a USB turntable that enables you to play LPs and record
>them to hard disk. I have a collection of about 6000 LP records and would
>love to copy them to my newly acquired Blu-ray burner ($69), and then dump
>them, except for a chosen few, one of which is Mary Margaret O'Hara's Miss
>America, an album I love so much that I have one unopened copy; I deem this
>record a Canadian masterpiece and will hold onto it forever, and never open
>it. (I also have the equivalent CD, but there's something special in owning
>an unopened vinyl version.)
>
>Arthur

Салахетдинов Шамиль