[dba-Tech] FYI: Foursquare Gets $15M And Licensing Deal From Microsoft To Power Location Context For Windows And Mobile

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 5 11:51:31 CST 2014

Hi Shamil:

One thing for sure, with this deal and the expected results, Microsoft's Bing platform, among some of their other products, there will be a tighter integration between the user, MS and advertisers.

Your current location will be discovered immediately, whether you are using a cell phone or PC connected via WiFi or just a router that has WiFi capabilities. This technology will be directed towards providing a user of Microsoft products with information closer to their location and their preferences when analysis of their personality and history can be applied, in addition.

I am of two minds on this. Having a more personal experience when using Microsoft products is a definite plus but having a system knowing more about me, than I may even know myself, leaves me slightly uncomfortable.

I can see that Microsoft is trying to catch up with their main competition, Google, for web based advertising revenue but I like to feel like a person, with a bit of anonymity rather than a just a quantified product...but that might be just me.

FYI:  "Foursquare Gets $15M And Licensing Deal From Microsoft To Power Location Context For Windows And Mobile"
http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/04/foursquare-cuts-15m-deal-with-microsoft-to-power-location-and-context-for-windows-and-mobile/

Should we expect "Microsoft Glass" to be announced real soon? ;)

--
Салахетдинов Шамиль