[dba-Tech] XP replacement?

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 5 12:32:43 CST 2014

On 2014-02-05 10:54 AM, Jim Lawrence wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> ASUS is selling, what it calls the XP replacement. Is the world ready for Android (Linux) to replace Window?
>
> http://www.techrepublic.com/article/xp-replacement-179-asus-chromebox-is-most-powerful-chrome-device-to-date/#ftag=RSS56d97e7

If you're willing to pay usage fees for the rest of your life to the
server farm that implements your "cloud", sure, but most XP users, I
think, have a different set of requirements---fast networking browsing &
email and a decent Windows-like GUI with Excel2000-fully-compatible
spreadsheet, PowerPoint2000-fully-compatible presentation software, and
Word2000-fully-compatible word processing. Thats the 31% or so of
current Windows users who still run XP, ie many millions who feel no
compulsion to be near the bleeding edge but are just trying to get their
'puter work done with minimum fuss----a huge market for an open source
implementation of "Windows". What seems 'rilly odd to me is that no *Nix
OS vendor has yet produced what these people need.

PB

-----