[dba-Tech] Hortonworks: Hadoop, Windows, ODBC, and Azure

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 7 14:21:32 CST 2014

Hi Gustav:

Well it is about bloody time.

Windows servers have been languishing in the background for ages as these very important technologies have only been fully available on Linux systems or on Windows servers via virtual Linux drives or through emulators like Cygwin.

If this is a true native port and not just another mashup it couldn't come at a better time for Microsoft and the new age of Big Data.

Aside: Of course, the BE databases and all the other BD infrastructure products, at this time can not be Microsoft products. OTOH, if this means that the language F#, built for this environment, can take advantage of this release that will also be great.

Now that the distributive part of the product stack has been fully implemented and is reliable, does that mean that all the other components have been fully ported? It would be interesting to see if this port, running on a similar powered Linux machine can give equal performance results. Another question I would ask is whether adoption of this software version mean that a server cluster must be only MS or can it mix and match? One of the main reasons for going Linux, within the BD environment, is to reduce costs as a server cluster can extend from two servers to thousands...would each server have to have a Microsoft licence to work?...which could increase deployment costs, on big sites, by millions?

In summary, I think this product introduction is excellent but I wonder if it will be just a learning tool for Microsoft-only-techs, so they can get up to speed in the world of Linux Big Data and then allow them easily be seduced over to the darkside? ;-)