[dba-Tech] The perfect storm

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 13 11:27:05 CST 2014

Hi All:

Microsoft wants all their Windows users out of their old operating systems and to embrace Windows 8.x. With Windows 8.x sales languishing at 10 percent and no particular large scale progress in adoption, it seems that we are on a verge of a perfect storm.

Windows XP users have just kept using their old beaters (currently 35 percent of the market) and when they have migrated it has been to Windows 7, but to stop the progress, MS, since October of last year, has stopped all sales of Windows 7 (IMHO, that was stupid move as a sale is a sale and what the users want the users should get). There are still thousands of copies of Window 7 is the supply chain and sales continue to be brisk (much brisker than Windows 8.x)...Windows 7 sales are now grown to over 55 percent of the Windows PC market.

In six weeks support for XP will disappear, Microsoft has blocked the Windows 7 escape route but the market just is not moving or is willing to buy into the new Windows 8.x environment. According to the following article, Microsoft is trying in enlist all it loyal Windows 8 supporters to get behind a push to encourage your friend, your neighbours and local businesses to move.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246122/Perspective_Microsoft_asks_for_volunteers_to_join_its_kill_XP_army

OTOH, I wonder if the following article is any indication that disenchanted Windows users are just bailing out all together?

http://qz.com/176643/its-official-apple-sells-more-computers-than-all-windows-pcs-combined

On a personal note, I have found my own escape route by just re-learning Linux and now have found I very much prefer this leading edge (bleeding edge) environment as it is more suited to my character and have decided to wait until maybe Windows 9 comes out.

In the larger scheme of things, this will hardly matter to Microsoft as they will still make their billions in sales, through servers and Office...but in ten years or so, it will come back to haunt...hopefully the new leadership will be able to rekindle the excitement and new loyalty in Microsoft again.