[dba-Tech] The perfect storm

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 14 00:16:34 CST 2014

Hi Peter:

Active Directory is essentially kerberos + ldap, both of which originated on Unix so in theory you should be able to just run up a Linux Server with Samba, version 4. (http://www.samba.org)...Active directory features can be compiled in it. I have never bothered to set up AD on a Linux box so unfortunately my knowledge is limited.

With a Ubuntu Linux server, all you would need is an old box and you could have your print, mail, database, backup, VPN, domain and authentication server all on a minimum computer of 128 MB of RAM and one GB of hard drive space.