[dba-Tech] Send SMS From Mobile Into MS Access Or SQL Database

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Feb 14 01:05:47 CST 2014

Writing the app to send the data from an Android mobile device is quite simple with
Basic4Android.   :-)

You can do it in at least four  ways that I can think of:

1. SMS
2. Email
3. HTTP Post message
4. FTP.

There are B4A libraries to use all of these methods quite simply, so the hard part is getting
the data into the database at the receiving end.  Solutions would be:

1.  SMS:    Either an SMS to EMail gateway , in which case t is the same subsequent solution
as 2, or a GPRS device and SIM card to receive the SMS on the PC - that will require 3rd
party software and an interface between that software and your database. IOW, not simple.

2.  Email.  Device sends an email to a dedicated address.  An app on the database server
polls the mailbox, downloads any emails, strips out the content and puts it into the database
(that's exactly how we handle the PNG National Election results - using an application I wrote
in PowerBASIC to do the polling/data transfer)

3.  HTTP Post message - device sends a  HTTP  message to a web server's simple PHP
page which accepts the post data and drops it into a database. Code to send the message is
very simple to write. If you have a webserver available with PHP, the webpage is also very
simple to write.

4. FTP.    Fairly simple to write something to transfer the data to an FTP server.  You then
use a similar approach to 2 above to poll the FTP server for new files and download and
parse the data  from the server .

Option 3 is definitely the simplest to implement if you have the web server. You can put
WAMP on a machine inside your network listening on a high port number and forward that
port on your router for a fairly solid, secure solution to getting the data in real time ( i.e. no
need for periodic polling)