[dba-Tech] FYI: "Why There Will Never Be Another RedHat: The Economics Of Open Source"

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Fri Feb 14 09:52:33 CST 2014

 Hi Jim --

But the article is about profits from OSS and "closed source", OSS development companies (as RedHat LInux) profits vs. "closed source" companies as MS, *Apple*, *Google* - the latter two do use OSS but the main profits they get are based on closed/proprietary business - hardware for Apple, advertisements - for Google...

...so the author proposes to use the same strategies as Apple and Google: to use OSS as base for custom proprietary solutions.

-- Shamil

Friday, February 14, 2014 4:07 AM -07:00 from Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:
>
>For last twenty years we have been reading and listening to such articles. Ever since IBM gave the fledgling Linux community and its GPL licensing unlimited resource in its legal fight against Microsoft (Steve Ballmer) who wanted to wipe it out as an affront to the free-enterprise system.
>
>Then there were just a few OSS applications on the market. The market has kept growing into dozens of OSS products, then the computer age grew to thousands, hundreds of thousand and I believe now there are millions of open source applications...dozens more ever day. If you look closely at the market, with but a few exceptions it is all OSS. All the new startups are created with OSS products and programs through the OS GitHub. Our future in computers now depends on the Open Source world. All the latest advancements in computer technology are OSS much of it created out of our schools and universities.
>
>The writer of this article just has no comprehension of the driving force behind the Open Source...it is not all to do with money. He does not understand what would drive the best programmers in the world to keep building and designing with little chance of financial profit or for the most profitable companies in the business to keep giving away huge amounts of cash to keep the Open Source Software world growing.
>
>The fellow was smart enough to not combine the Amazon and Amazon's Cloud services together, or include facebook or Google or even Oracle or Apple who, if not all, a major portion of the companies are built on OSS. Virtually all the internet is built on OSS, all its support products, all the new operating systems, most of the servers, most of the smartphones OS. If there was not open source software, the industry would collapse or have never existed.
>
>The big for profit companies have of course always felt threatened by the whole OSS world. Even Microsoft, the last big bastion of proprietary software, would never have the Azure Cloud, if it were not for Open Source software which runs it...or even Oracle which has most of their databases running on top of Linux and then Amazon which is an open source shop. There are no major programming languages, that I know of that are not free to use...yes even C# and F#, such is the OSS world and the influence it commands. One day even Microsoft may be an Open Source shop and like all open source shops, give away their platforms or sell them for nominal fees and just sell services, advertisements, data collected and hardware...and  looking at the trends it might be sooner than later.
>
>In conclusion, the writer of this article has got it completely backwards and appears to not have a clue of what he is writing about.
>
>Jim

Салахетдинов Шамиль