[dba-Tech] The worlds largest

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Fri Feb 14 17:29:34 CST 2014

You know what would be cheaper?  Leaded gasoline.
You know what would be cheaper?  Getting rid of those stupid scrubbers on
the smokestacks.
You know what would be cheaper?  Not paying for catalytic converters on
cars.
You know what would be cheaper?  Strip mining.
You know what would be cheaper?  Burning soft coal.
You know what would be cheaper?  Clear cutting the forests.
You know what would be cheaper?  Dumping waste directly into the rivers.
You know what would be cheaper?  Leeches.  Those antibiotics can be awfully
expensive.

Since cheaper is the sine qua non by which you judge technology, all those
health, safety, and environmental considerations can be logically ignored.
The important thing is that energy come to us at the lowest possible short
term cost.  And the rest of those cans can be kicked conveniently down the
road for someone else to deal with later.

Of course for me, having lived in both polluted and clean environments, and
I can't tell you how happy I am that my society has accepted the increased
costs of clean as making a better way of life for us.  I used to be
regularly warned by my morning DJ to restrict my outdoor activities.  That
hasn't happened for 20 years or more.