[dba-Tech] Visual Studio

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Feb 17 13:29:31 CST 2014

Hi Jim

I love you state "limited features and capabilities" even for the ultimate version.

Why not start with the Express version and let's talk about the limitations you find. That said, I use the Pro version which comes with the Action Pack Subscription. I don't think I ever outgrow that. The other versions are for large and enterprise teams.

My previous son-in-law, a PHP-Perl-C#-younameit programmer himself, at the time of VS2005 adviced me that route. But he warned me: If you decide so, you will never look back.
He was right, although I still do a lot of Access programming. But it seems so much old school, and I miss my VS. VS is built for programmers by programmers and for programming, nothing super-user here, and you feel it. Every feature you discover (and _that_ is an ongoing process) is made to easen the work of the programmer.

I cannot speak about the alternatives you mention. I neither look back nor elsewhere.

/gustav