[dba-Tech] The computer world is evolving

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 21 15:58:17 CST 2014

Hi All:

For us old systems guys we do not have to concern ourselves about the changing dynamics of the computer world or if we have found a comfortable niche in which to reside but for those who are planning to work another ten or more years or are planning on getting into the business, there are certain directions that will have to be taken into consideration.

It is not only web based environments but the platforms will be mostly Linux. The following article addresses that new reality with job stats.

<quote>
...Of hiring managers polled, 77 percent have "hiring Linux talent" on their to-do lists for the year (up from 73 percent last year), and more than 90 percent of all hiring managers plan on hiring Linux talent of some kind in the next six months...

...To top it all off, the report claims Linux pros can command top salaries and work perks (such as telecommute options and paid training).
</quote>

http://www.infoworld.com/t/it-jobs/want-land-it-job-in-2014-it-helps-be-linux-pro-236675

My personal thoughts on this are varied but then I have technically retired and no longer in any career danger...but even I will have to step up my game if I wish to remain at all relevant.