[dba-Tech] OT: What would you do with $100B?

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 20:50:45 CST 2014

Rocky,

You and I would appear to be on the same page: pay it forward.

Hans,
Ok that took care of the first $19B. Now what?

As for me, I think that I might devote a few $B to the asteroid-mining
adventures, and the remainder to micros-economic venture loans, and such
causes as creating opportunities for women's education in nations where
that is a problem.

Arthur

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Hans-Christian Andersen <
hans.andersen at phulse.com> wrote:

> > What would you do with $100B?
>
> I think I might buy WhatsApp.
>
> - Hans
>
> On Feb 26, 2014, at 12:46 PM, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Just finished reading the articles at Wired and NYT about Egon's latest
> > adventures, and also the Shimizu plan to create an 11K solar strip on the
> > moon and broadcase said power back to Earth.
> >
> > Which raises the question... Suppose your app went viral and suddenly you
> > had a million users, with attendant revenues. What would you do with the
> > money?
> >
> > As an initial guess, I would factor in Number of Spouses (did you know
> that
> > the plural of Spouse is Spice?), number of college-ready children,
> > outstanding mortgage, car leases/loans, etc.
> >
> > But let us suppose that all these exigencies could be handled by the
> first
> > B of your $100B, denominated in US $.
> >
> > What would you do with the rest? Would you join Bill Gates's foundation
> and
> > donate 51% toward curing malaria and similar infectious diseases? Would
> you
> > put some loot into breast-cancer research? Send medicine + education to
> > Third World countries (e.g. this concerns some African beliefs that if
> you
> > sleep with a very young girl, you stave off HIV/AIDS)? Or, radically
> > alternative to the aforementioned proposals, would you choose to keep it
> > all and let the lawyers figure it out upon your demise?
> >
> > I know that it's an imaginary question, but nonetheless I shall be
> > interested in your responses. Even if we divide the amount by 100, it's
> > still more money than you could possibly spend in the rest of your life,
> no
> > matter how serious your habits; so what would you do with $1B? For
> > starters... and then what would you do with $100B?
> >
> > As for me, I would join the group of billionaires that the Gates's have
> > formed, that includes Warren Buffet and Sir Richard Branson and 120
> others,
> > all of whom have decided to give a minimum of 51% away, towards such
> causes
> > as curing malaria and polio. As for me, I would go a lot further, and
> give
> > away about 90% not 51%, leaving me enough to go vacation in Mallorca and
> > Shanghai and Havana every year pending my demise.
> >
> > And you? What would you do?
> >
> > Arthur
> >
> > --
> > Arthur