[dba-Tech] Database future

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Jan 19 23:01:33 CST 2014

ROTFLMAO

"Last week IDG published their latest big data enterprise survey and predictions for 2014
finding that on average, enterprises will spend $8M on big data -related initiatives in 2014."

Guess it depends on how you define "average",  "enterprise", "will" and "2014"   :)

(92% of companies under 1000 employees and 84% of organisations surveyed plan* to
spend less than $5M,  71%  of total intend to spend less than $1M.     The 2% who plan to
spend over $100M each may cause a light distortion in appearances)

*where the total who are allegedly  "planning"  from the previous question includes "are
considering... in the next 13 - 24 months"  and "likely to miplement in the future but have no
specific timelines".

Very dodgy methodology.

But I guess if it's good enough for climate scientists, it's good enough for market analysts  :)

--
Stuart