[dba-Tech] Want to be an animator?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 24 14:16:49 CST 2014

Hi Mark:

There are a large number of tutorials that they sell but as far as I have seen YouTube has dozens of video free for viewing and learning. For example here is a great couple of videos showing how you can generate a very realistic Ocean landscape:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmfTCe1KDzw
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3sSZ6W7rgQ

It is all pretty heady stuff to say the least but the resulting realism is incredible. It was not more than a five to ten years ago that to produce such quality results would take teams of developers and designers a month or two to reproduce and the hardware needed would be prohibitive. The first movie to use this technology was The Perfect Storm:
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNzIwMTc0NTI0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTk4Mzc3Mw@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

In addition there are also a number of rigs (the frame work for producing realistic characters) which can be downloaded and used.

So you would like to create a Minion? Check out the following tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2uY7rjhhMs

Aside: There are also a number of other great applications out there like Maxion which has a full featured learning version for those who wish to learn: http://www.maxon.net/en/home.html and then there is Morpheus 2.0 which has just finishing reaching their development requirement via crowd funding: http://www.joshburton.com/projects/morpheusDocs.asp

Watch out Pixar. ;-)