[dba-Tech] Fwd: Great essay by Dan Bricklin on off-line mobile-capable apps

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Jul 21 03:33:23 CDT 2014

It's a mashup.

At  this stage using PowerBASIC  on a desktop to transfer data between the main Roll
database and SQLite. The main roll is SQL Server, but we take Access snapshots and use
them to build the SQLite databases so that we are working with locked rolls at points in time.
That may well change since we are currently looking at a complete redesign and rebuild of
the entire election management system.

Basic4Android on the tablets.

Looking at various options including laptops and MIFI devices in the field to consolidate
groups of tablets  into a single database for subsequent updating of the master roll.  That is
likely to be a combination of FTP and PowerBASIC.