[dba-Tech] Poll: What source code control system do you use?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 16 16:31:28 CDT 2014

Hi Gustav:

I would go for the Ubuntu version as its friendlier. Both Debian and CentOS are serious enterprise versions and unless that is where you want to go, IMHO, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit would do you better. (Note: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit is out now

Too bad but you could easily run up your own VD or then there is DigitalOcean which has droplet template that comes with a fully installed gitlab, already to go. $5.00 per month and if you use the promo code LASJune, you could get an addition two months for free.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-the-gitlab-one-click-install-image-to-manage-git-repositories

Then if you like gitlab and decide not to continue the data could be downloaded and the system could be replicated with Hyper-V

An aside: It is not yet ready for either the MAC or Windows but soon it should be. Version 1.0 just came out this week. If is Docker.io of course. Check out the following link describing Docker's LXC (Linux Containers) system:

https://docs.docker.com/faq

The following description:

"So let's say you have a container image that is 1GB in size. If you wanted to use a Full VM, you would need to have 1GB times x number of VMs you want. With LXC and AuFS you can share the bulk of the 1GB and if you have 1000 containers you still might only have a little over 1GB of space for the containers OS, assuming they are all running the same OS image.

A full virtualized system gets its own set of resources allocated to it, and does minimal sharing. You get more isolation, but it is much heavier (requires more resources).

With LXC you get less isolation, but they are more lightweight and require less resources. So you could easily run 1000's on a host, and it doesn't even blink. Try doing that with Xen, and unless you have a really big host, I don't think it is possible.

A full virtualized system usually takes minutes to start, LXC containers take seconds, and sometimes even less than a second."