[dba-Tech] Fake Duplex Printing

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Thu Mar 13 08:22:17 CDT 2014

Hi Arthur,

I've read through the fine responses you've already had from our
colleagues and I pretty much concur with what they've all said. I'm
sharing my own experience on this, now, since I often do need to do
two-sided pages.

I used to simply print all the odd-numbered pages, then flip the pages
and print the even-numbered pages.  The issues there are whether the
pages are output face up or face down.  If face up, then just flipping
the pages will work.  If the pages come out face down, the second
printing must go in the opposite direction, i.e., first print goes 1-35
odd only, second print goes 36-2 even only.  This part of the issue is
printer-specific.  In my HP laser printer, if I have the back tray open,
pages go straight through and are delivered face up.  If the back tray
is closed, pages get turned over and are delivered face down.  That
printer is not equipped with a duplexing attachment, so everything is
manual.  My HP inkjet printer does have the duplexing attachment, and it
works quite well - the way the pages are delivered is face up, but the
order of output depends on whether I'm doing one-sided or two-sided
printing.

Paper mis-feed is a real problem, whether one is dealing with a laser
printer or an inkjet printer - especially in settings with high static
electricity or in hot damp weather.  I also find that the longer the
print job is, the more likely the paper is to jam or mis-feed.

If the print job is important to me - and it usually is - I will break
it down into smaller chunks, say five or ten sheets of paper at a time.
Once I start experiencing paper mis-feeds, I am likely to hand feed the
pages, one at a time, and flip each one to print the next page.  On a
165-page programming manual, this takes me a long time, but I still do
it.  Usually, I set up some other task to keep me busy between turns :-)

Hope this helps,
TNF

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields-at-torchlake-dot-com