[dba-Tech] LINQ -- Was Free OneNote

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 19:43:48 CDT 2014

Arthur,

I hope that you find it useful. I wish I'd have downloaded it when I first
got exposed to LINQ a couple of years ago. I'd be using it more now.

LINQ is kinda laborious to explain. If you don't set up an Object
Relational Model in Visual Studio, then you won't get the Intellisense
benefit. Not that making an ORM is any hardship; it's just that it's
another object type that needs to be compiled into your .NET project.

But with LINQPad, you can avoid the ORM. It's very much like Intellisense
in SSMS...it's just there after you've connected to a data source.

LINQPad also comes with quite a bit of sample code gleaned from Albahari's
books and presentations. There's a list of additional resources for
downloading as samples into LINQPad that you can pick from right there in
LINQPad...but I'm not certain if that's only with the paid version.