[dba-Tech] How important is Open Source?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 29 01:02:25 CDT 2014

How important is OSS to the world of computer advancements.

That is an interesting question but according to some (most) no major programming development would have happened without it. OSS is simply the driving force behind everything we have in the computer world; the internet and the Cloud, most servers, all super computers and so on.

It was said here that a large successful Open Source company like RedHat will never happen again but also large database and software development companies like Oracle and Microsoft will near happen again. Times have changed and there will be no self contained computer companies any more. These large companies will (may) continue to exist in the future but their offerings will be mostly those of services built upon huge mashups of Open Source software.

http://www.zdnet.com/it-takes-an-open-source-village-to-make-commercial-software-7000027749

Is this good or bad? ...I do not know but companies utilizing OSS will continue to flourish.