[dba-Tech] Install unsigned drivers in Windows 8/8.1

Jon Tydda jon at tydda.plus.com
Wed Sep 3 16:15:50 CDT 2014

Hi all

I've got an ancient Topfield 5800 PVR (TV box with a hard drive) that I
record tv shows etc on, and it has a USB output to connect it to a PC.
It worked fine with Windows XP and Windows 7, but on my Windows 8.1
desktop, I'm struggling.

I've found a driver that will work with Windows 8 (apparently), but I'm
struggling to install it, because Windows 8 won't let you install
unsigned drivers, unless you restart it in Advanced Startup mode, which
sounds like a whole lot of hassle. Especially if I have to do this every
time I want to uninstall an unsigned driver... I really can't believe
this is the only way to do it - does anyone know of another?

Jon