[dba-Tech] DVD ripper for Windows 8

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Sep 27 02:40:27 CDT 2014

Hi Peter et al

I managed to check out DVD Shrink but I couldn't play back the converted files. It seems aimed at making DVD copies which I don't care that much about.
Also, it is dormant:

<quote>
Since development of DVD Shrink has been stopped in 2005 it cannot circumvent current copy protections schemes which may manifest in these errors/error messages:

• Movie playback starts in between or at the end and/or chapters do not playback in order
• Invalid File Structure
• Invalid Navigation Structure
• Out of memory
• Programming error - Exception occurred
• Parameter Incorrect
• Data Redundancy Check Error (CRC Error)
• The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

To remove such protections do a complete backup of such media to your HDD with (use Google):

• DVDFab HD Decrypter (free trial)
• AnyDVD (free trial)

and then use Shrink to encode it as usual.
</quote>

So you have to go to your pocket if you wish to be up to date.

/gustav