[dba-Tech] Access shortcut problem

Zimmer, Michael Michael.Zimmer at federalmogul.com
Wed Apr 1 08:38:44 CDT 2015

Hello All,

I have a recurring issue with users and MS Access desktop shortcuts.

These computers are on a network.  The Access db they are trying to reach are stored on the network.

A desktop shortcut to an Access DB is created and worked.  Then one day, it does not.

1.        Double clicking the shortcut does nothing - no response at all.  Shortcut points to the correct target.

2.       Opening Access and attempting to select said file from "recently used files" does nothing.  No response.

3.       Navigating to the file via windows explorer and double clicking on access db will not open it.  No response.

4.       The ONLY way to open the file is to open Access and navigate through the open file menu to the db on the network and then it will open.

This problem only happens with one or two files on a couple of users computers.  I'm not able to consistently replicate the problem.
When I deleted the non-responsive shortcut and tried to create a new one I get an error message "Not a Win32 application"

I've checked file association and it is correct on the machines with the problem.

Is this some kind of error in the registry?

Thanks for any advice or help.

Mike

Michael S. Zimmer
Information Systems