[dba-Tech] Coming soon to a data-center near you

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 14 14:27:28 CDT 2015

Hi Gustav:

I must admit, like yourself, I have set up clients for years with reel-to-reel tapes and large and small tape format, especially for backups. I have been out of the market for a few years but it seems that most companies just use hard drives for their backups these days. Before a tape backup was so cheap, in comparison, to the cost of a large capacity hard drives...today, no so much.

I have had little experience with a professional tape drive breaking tapes...maybe one or two in twenty years. IMHO, the only thing that has kept tape drives relevant, is the excellent tape hardware.