[dba-Tech] The Swiss army knife of backup systems

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Dec 16 04:59:33 CST 2015

Hi Jim

That's right, except that it is a *nix thing. Under Windows, it only runs in a Cygwin environment.

We did some serious testing years ago, and it failed. The simple reason is, that it gets confused by the naming conventions of Windows files and folders which are case insentitive also for "foreign" characters. It may work in an ascii-only world, but outside, no.

I mentioned before, that if you need syncing of files between locations in a Windows environment, go for the native DFS replication between servers of version 2003 R2+.
It is rock stable as is communicates at the OS level, not the file level. This means that, say, renaming a file or moving a complete folder is just that - at all nodes - and within a second or so.

/gustav