[dba-Tech] Remote take over programs

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 18 02:18:38 CST 2015

Hi John:

That is right, there has to be a Linux server BE but that said, the cost of running up Linux server, like Mint is nothing but half an hour of your time. It can of course be just run off a virtual drive. The only other items that must be setup is that it is running on a 64bit motherboard, appropriate address setup on the router (default port 22 but you can assign any port you want) and having SSH installed. Note: X2Go will only run on a 2D distro GUI...the excellent distro is MATE (http://mate-desktop.com/), which uses very little memory, can be installed on the server and X2Go can be set to call the appropriate desktop session. (Wouldn't it be cool if, at the login prompt, you could pick which FE you would like, at any time, Windows7, 8 or 10 and then login.)

There is three lines of code at the command prompt to setup a SSH server:

sudo apt-get install openssh-server   # install the server version of the SSH software
sudo gedit /etc/ssh/sshd_config       # if needed, change the default port number
sudo service ssh restart                  # Restart of the SSH service

You don't have go in and setup SSH security as it defaults to an auto-generates 1024 bit RSA encryption. Once you have everything installed you can test it from another computer using the program PuTTY (http://bit.ly/1YlLNhx).

For me the X2Go is working flawlessly. I have not tested the server with more than three consecutive sessions so I am not sure of any issues but my server has 16GB RAM. ;-)