[dba-Tech] Downed planes and Black-box technology

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 11:00:23 CST 2015

Hi Arthur,

the answer for this is simple.

Airlines use technology that we might sometimes this is archaic.  They have
no sata 3, no DDR4 Ram, no USB3.0.  No overclocked PC's like I love to
build.

In fact, their technology is 80's and 90's, thank god.

They use stuff that has such a proven track record that it is safe to
put people up in the sky with it.

After saying all of that, I had that conversation with my son only two days
ago about the Blackbox.  The guys back in 70's - 90's never imagined that a
plain would be so far off course that it could not be localised even after
30 days.  I expect that the next version of a black box will have 1) 365
days of battery power and b) triangulation that even the pilot cannot
interfere with and c)  as you suggest, satalite, gps and whatever else
technology can be used to guarantee they track the last known position for
the plane.

Mark