[dba-Tech] CoreOS ?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon Jan 26 02:25:56 CST 2015

 Hi All --

I'm planning to implement for my customers a scalable on demand set of RESTFul  web services serving a few custom application functions as well being "front-ends" to a few custom databases. And I'm currently looking at CoreOS (https://coreos.com/). Do you have any experience with it?

My RESTFul web services would probably be running on NodeJS (or PHP or Python) and my custom databases would be stored on mySQL (MariaDB?) - not sure about that last position yet as backend datamodels are relatively simple and so there could be no need to use a relational databases. Although currently MS Access and MS SQL with sometimes advanced SQL queries, stored procedures and user defined functions is used on backend, so if migrating to a noSQL backend these queries, stored procedures and user defined functions should be probably implemented in code.

I'd also probably need to implement a full text flexible search system using Sphinx ( http://sphinxsearch.com )

And there should also exist a fallback solution for all that architecture - a system configuration to run locally (very moderately scalable of course) in the case a cloud hosting as e.g.  https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/an-introduction-to-coreos-system-components  will go down and will become unavailable for a long period of time. The latter is very improbable but anyway - a fallback solution would be a must to convince the customers to scale their currently more than 50% desktop/LAN based system configuration.

Thank you.

--
Салахетдинов Шамиль