[dba-Tech] Windows 10 Virtual Desktops

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 23:17:32 CDT 2015

I know we have some folks who are avid Windows 8 users.  Any of you out
there using Windows 10?  What is up with that virtual desktop?

I do multi-window all the time, often a dozen copies of Chrome each for
a topic, a couple of excel sheets, a word doc, a hand full or remote
desktops etc.

In Windows 7 I have the task bar at the bottom of the screen.  All
Chromes are represented by a "stack" of chrome buttons or icons on the
taks bar.  All spreadsheets are a "stack" of excel icons.  Etc. I can
simply hover my mouse over the stack and a menu pops up allowing me to
select one from the stack.  or I can hold down the alt key and tab
through all of the open items to select one.

So how does this play against the new virtual desktop.  Does the taskbar
still work the same in Windows 10 as it does in Windows 7, and as
described above?  If I have a virtual desktop, does each desktop have
it's own task bar which I can do the above stacking and selection
trick?  Can the desktops be saved or endure a reboot, reloading
everything in each desktop?  Or do I have to rebuild the desktops if I
have to reboot?

Does Windows 10 auto-update still force a reboot or are the windows
updates more transparent now?

And If I (for example) created a half dozen virtual desktops and loaded
10 Chrome instances with 12 tabs in one of them (not uncommon when I am
researching stuff) would Windows handle the severe performance impact
better, perhaps isolating the impact to just that one virtual window?
And yes I understand that MS has a new and apparently quite slick
browser.  How does that browser handle a dozen or more tabs?  Does
anyone know if that browser will run under Windows 7?

I got badly burned with Windows 8 being so completely and utterly
foreign that I am gun shy about installing Windows 10 on my work
machine.  I am actually considering buying a new machine to run windows
10, leaving my Windows 7 machine alone and in it's current state until
such time as I have vetted the UI and thoroughly understand it.