[dba-Tech] Slow Comp

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Tue Jun 2 17:49:34 CDT 2015

So I've got this desktop - it's my secondary box - not my primary work box.
It's also my music box.  If I want to listen to music while I'm working, or
practice a tune, I use this one.

But I also drag and drop a copy of EVERYTHING I work on onto this box.  An
old habit of being a lone ranger developer all these years.  If box #1 craps
out, I can at least keep the business going.

But box #2 has been slowing down lately - thrashing a bit.  I have three
other desktops but I think this one is the best of the bunch.  The others
are going to be got rid of somehow.

Anyway, I digress.  What I'd like to do is speed this bad boy up.  It's an
eMachines T5082 running W7 SP1.  It's got a 3GHz P4 with 2GB and that's the
limit, I think. Small HD - 140GB but more than I need.

I suppose I could back up everything essential, wipe the HD, and reinstall
W7.  Then download all the programs I really need.

But is there an effective alternative to this nuclear option?

I've seen a lot of snappy ads promising to speed up my comp but they look
like snake oil for the most part and I don't trust them any farther than I
can throw my whole desk.

Any advice welcome.

MTIA

Rocky Smolin